Bonus: Grieving families during the December holidays
Welcome to this bonus episode of the Life Reconstructed podcast. It’s for you and for your adult sons and daughters. Because grief doesn’t happen in a vacuum. We grieve as a family. With the December holidays right around the corner, it can be difficult to navigate grief as a family. So I’m very happy to offer this bonus episode, which is part of a series hosted by me and my friend, coach colleague & fellow widow, Pamela Hamilton. Pam coaches adults who are grieving the loss of a parent. She can be found at www.adultsgrievingparents.com or by email at [email protected]
In this episode, Pam and I discuss the how to navigate the December holidays as a grieving family. We discuss:
- The extra challenges in December.
- The "should's" and "oughts" and why we should take them off the table.
- How pain is different than suffering.
- That we're not our former selves.
- How to use HALT for self care and intentional planning.
- The importance of communication as a family.
- Draft a plan and give yourself the ability to opt out.
- How to avoid weeks of dread.
- Integration, and the Hero's Journey.